- This event has passed.
Literary translation: reading between the lines
February 14 @ 10:00 am - 12:30 pm£80
In this 2½ hour workshop, critically-acclaimed literary translator Rosalind Harvey will teach you the nuts and bolts of the industry and give you the opportunity to take part in a creative translation exercise.
Rosalind will begin with a presentation and Q&A session in which you will:
- Learn about the ins and outs of the business of literary translation and how it is different to commercial translation in that it sits withing the publishing industry
- Gain a sense of how to build a career or side line as a literary translator
- Gain an overview of what it is like to work as a literary translator and some tools for getting started.
This will be followed by a group translation activity (non-language specific/ a glossary for the Spanish text will be provided), during which Rosalind will move between the break-out rooms to listen and provide support. You will:
- Get a taste of working on a playful literary text
- Get a feel for what it’s like working creatively and open-endedly on a section of text for the literary market
- Come together for a feedback and discussion session to share your thoughts and ideas.
Find further details here.
- February 14
10:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Institute of Translation and Interpreting
- View Organizer Website