The American Literary Translators Association (ALTA) has opened up submissions for six different prizes and fellowships, including the 2018 Cliff Becker Book Prize in Translation:
The Becker Prize “is given to an unpublished book-length manuscript of poetry in translation. It includes a $1,000 prize and publication by White Pine Press.”
- manuscripts must be book length (48 pages – 80 pages, not including the original text) works of poetry in English translation
- DO NOT include any identifying information about the translator in the manuscript (i.e. name, bio, etc.)
- DO include an acknowledgements page,indicating any previous publication of individual poems
- DO include a letter or document indicating permission of the original poet or their estate, as applicable, to submit the book for publication in English
- DO include the original language text either appended to or contained within the translation manuscript
- translators need not be an ALTA member or U.S. citizen or resident in order to apply for the award
The 2017 Becker winner was Chloe Hill for her translation of Myriam Faga’s Purifications or the Sign of Retaliation. The 2018 winner will be announced at ALTA’s October 5-8 conference in Minneapolis, MN.
Other opportunities open for submission include the 2017 travel fellowship and the 2017 NTA in poetry and prose.
Eligible translators and publishers can submit online.